Since Victorian times in the nineteenth century there was a popular rhyme representing a blessing for the bride that said “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue … and a sixpence in her shoe.” Today, the tradition continues, and when it comes to preparing the attire for the bride, it is important to take into account these points; besides being fun, they will become a great illusion. Here are the reasons why the following articles should be part of the trousseau.
– Something new: It is a symbol of optimism and hope for life that the bride is about to start next to her partner, besides representing change and renewal.
– Something borrowed: Symbolizes the good wishes and availability to the bride and the groom from their loved ones. Very often this object is provided by a woman who has been happily married, and will transmit good luck to the newlyweds.
– Something old: Also called something used, this article represents the continuity of the family and offspring; it is related to family ties.
– Something Blue: This color is a symbol of fidelity, modesty, perseverance and love.
– Coin in the shoe: It means that marriage will always have economic tranquility, prosperity and abundance of happiness.
Photo courtesy of Rosewood San Miguel de Allende.