Photo by Farsai Chaikulngamdee on Unsplash
While at home, why not do as your favorite resorts do and grow your own vegetables for an added touch of freshness to your next meal? Here, One&Only Resorts is sharing gardening tips for starting your own at-home vegetable garden and tricks for growing common fruits and veggies.
5 Tips for Starting a Vegetable Garden
- Choose a spot that receives at least six hours of sun a day
- Make sure to water plants regularly
- Prepare soil by digging in well-rotted manures and compost. Remove all the weeds, and raise beds by 20 cm. or more for better drainage
- Always mulch with an organic material like sugarcane or straw
- If you’re growing in pots, remember to use top quality potting mix for herbs and vegetables
The Basics For Common Fruits and Veggies
Chilis: Should be grown in full sun and watered regularly. They grow very well in pots. Sow seeds in punnets or plant out seedlings in spring. Remember to wear gloves and use secateurs when harvesting chillies.
Eggplant: Should be grown in full sun and watered regularly. Stake brittle branches to help support the weight of fruit. Pick the ripe fruit as soon as it’s ready to encourage more fruit. Aphids can be a problem, so control with pyrethrum spray.
Strawberries: Should be grown in full sun. They grow very well in pots. Plant the seeds into mounded up soil and mulch well. Keep soil moist as this plant will dry out easily. Soil PH needs to be 6-6.5.
Oregano: Should be grown in full sun and can be grown in pots. Sow seeds in punnets in autumn and spring. Harvest while flowering as both the dried leaves and flowers can be used. Oregano is very healthy as it’s high in antioxidants.
Click here for more ways to bring One&Only luxury home.